Summer is almost here. Do you want to be fit? Look good in that new bathing suit? Feel confident strutting in shorts? Who doesn’t?
The truth is, it’s not that hard. All it takes is commitment to yourself. Just follow these eight super simple tips to get fit and fabulous.
1. Eat healthy. You do not have to diet in order to do this. I swear. You do, however, have to severely limit the fast food, fried food and sweets. It is hard, I know. Sweets are my kryptonite. But, eating healthy is the most important habit to instill if you want a fit body.
2. Make working out a priority. You need to schedule your workout into your calendar and your daily to-do list. It has to come before social activities, shopping, coffee, and social media. Working out for one hour is only 1/24th of your day. Get up an hour earlier. No more excuses.
3. Never rest for more than 2 days. That’s actually pretty generous. You should actually never really rest for more than one day. Even if you only have 15 minutes to exercise, do it. A short cardio routine is better than no routine at all.
4. Don’t skip the cardio. There is no healthy weight loss without cardio. There are no toned muscles without cardio and there is no healthy heart without cardio. Yeah, it can get boring, but that’s what the TV’s in front of treadmills are for.
5. Invest in some fitness equipment. We always have an excuse why we can’t go to the gym – bad weather, sick child, or time restrictions. But when you have exercise equipment at home, those excuses don’t fly. A treadmill is an ideal piece of equipment, I don’t know what I would do without mine, but even weights are a great investment for the times when you can’t make it to the gym. Remember, any workout is 100 times better than no workout at all.
6. Exercise when you are sore. Take an Aleve and get back on track. You don’t have to do intense weight training or run a marathon, but a good brisk walk isn’t going to hurt and more likely it will help your pain last less. It’s called active recovery. Don’t forget to stretch!
7. Get some rest. If you want the energy for your daily routine you need to get some shut-eye. Yup, 8 hours a night. Just like you have always heard.
8. Easy on the alcohol. It’s pure calories. Not to mention it will screw up your workout the day after drinking as well and provide you with another excuse for not making exercise happen.
Get up, get moving, get healthy and get fit!